MEN PLEDGE TO DO BETTER AT ‘SHAKE THE CITY’ RALLY


photo credit: Jed Hresko

(Three Stripes Media) August 19, 2012 – Members of the community took to Franklin Field in Dorchester for the ‘Shake The City’ Rally, asking for justice for the three women recently murdered on Harlem Street in Roxbury. 

On hand at the rally was Pastor William Dickerson of Greater Love Tabernacle Church, Pastor Culpepper of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, Brother Randy Muhammad of the Nation of Islam, and Rodney Muhammad of the Nation of Islam. 

Speakers included City Councilors Tito Jackson and Ayanna Pressley, plus various members of the community. Johnathon Gates and M.C. Spice led a “Real Man Pledge” and all pastors, officers, elected officials, and other men of the community participated in a call-and-response call-to-action.

Women could be seen crying  as the men repeated the pledge aloud. The actual pledge went as followed:

“I WILL STAND UP

Since the beginning, God gave Adam orders to provide for, care for, and tend to this land. And since the beginning, we have slept on the job.
As a man, in my community, I must Apologize to our women, children and elderly for failing to do what God called me to do. I Apologize for turning a blind eye to the problems of our community because I was selfish and believed they were not my concerns. I Apologize to the young men of my community, that needed my guidance, but I did not take the time to talk, walk or mentor you, because you were not my child, I truly apologize.

I now take this Oath freely and willing to fulfill it

I _____________, I promise to be a part of the movement for positive change in our community. I promise to love, respect and protect our women, children and our elderly. I promise to shield you and protect you from harm. I promise to take that time to listen and guide you when you ask me for my help. I promise to give more of myself to my God, my family, and my community.

From THIS DAY FORTH, and under oath, I make this promise to be the man that God intended me to be, and to be the man my family and community expects me to be. You can depend on me, as I depend on God.

I challenge you to take this simple Oath to make a difference in our community right now.

With GOD All things are possible.”

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. You email address and IP Address has been recorded for future reference. any anonymous comment which is deemed abusive will be removed and investigated for further action.

Popular posts from this blog

FOX NEWS HOST REFUSES TO BOARD PLANE WITH BLACK FEMALE PILOT

MOM & 12 KIDS HOMELESS AFTER FAKE LANDLORD SCAM

Run-D.M.C. Producer Larry Smith Dead at 63