Skip to main content

'Essence' taps Douglas as one of its Women of the Year


One of the undeniable stars of the London Olympics was the little gymnast with the huge smile, 16-year-old double gold medalist Gabby Douglas. The all-around gymnastics champ covers the December issue of Essence magazine,
which honors her as one of its Women of the Year.

Douglas and her mother Natalie Hawkins sat down for an interview to chat about fame, fortune, family and, yes, the hair controversy.

On managing her newfound fortune: "I think saving it is the best option for anyone. … I can't go shoe shopping now. If I did, I'd buy the whole store…"

Hawkins on the controversy over Gabby's hair: "It hurt because it was coming from the community that should have upheld us the most. It was coming from within her own race, African-American women who are the people who are supposed to relate to her and be the happiest for her."

Douglas on her estrangment from her father: "(The relationship is) pretty distant; I'm so busy, I don't really have time to talk to anyone. No family is perfect."

On her new reality: "In my dreams I didn't think about how many shows I would be on and how many people would tweet me, the paparazzi, people wanting me to sign stuff. It's so cool!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOX NEWS HOST REFUSES TO BOARD PLANE WITH BLACK FEMALE PILOT

MOM & 12 KIDS HOMELESS AFTER FAKE LANDLORD SCAM

Run-D.M.C. Producer Larry Smith Dead at 63